Last updated: Feb 01, 2019
This Policy applies to all of Crossing Minds’ operating divisions, subsidiaries, affiliates, and branches, and any additional subsidiary, affiliate, or branch of Crossing Minds that we may subsequently form.
3.1 Personal Information We Collect and How We Use ItThe types of Personal Information we collect and our privacy practices depend on whether you are a customer, user, or visitor (together, “Individuals”) and the requirements of applicable law.
- Account Creation. We may collect Personal Information from you such as your full name and email address when you create an Account with us. As part of the Account creation process and in order to provide the recommendation services to you, we may also collect your unique content preferences, such as your preferences for movies, music, video games, books, television shows, and dining.
- Communications with Us. We may collect Personal Information from you such as email address, phone number, or mailing address when you request information about our Services, request customer or technical support, or otherwise communicate with us.
- Use of the Services. We may collect information about you as you navigate and use the Services, such as lists of items you create to share with friends, the items you bookmark, and the ratings you give to items in connection with our recommendation services.
- Surveys. We may contact you to participate in surveys. If you decide to participate, you may be asked to provide certain information which may include Personal Information.
- Posting. We may offer forums and blogs on our Services. Any content you provide on these channels will be considered “public” and is not subject to privacy protections.
- Registration for Sweepstakes or Contests. We may run sweepstakes and contests. Contact information you provide may be used to reach you about the sweepstakes or contest and for other promotional, marketing and business purposes, if permitted by law. In some jurisdictions, we are required to publicly share information of winners.
- Automatic Data Collection. We may collect certain information automatically when you use the Services. This information may include your Internet protocol (IP) address, user settings, IMEI, MAC address, cookie identifiers, mobile carrier, mobile advertising and other unique identifiers, details about your browser, operating system or device, location information, Internet service provider, pages that you visit before, during and after using the Services, information about the links you click, and other information about how you use the Services. Information we collect may be associated with accounts and other devices.
- Information from Other Sources. We may obtain information about you from other sources, including through third party services and organizations to supplement information provided by you. For example, if you access our Services through a third party application, such as an App Store, a third party login service, or a Social Networking Site (“SNS”), we may collect information about you from that third party application that you have made available via your privacy settings. We may use third party APIs and software development kits (“SDKs”) as part of the functionality of our Services. Crossing Minds uses certain third party SDKs to enable you to log in to our Services as noted above. In addition, if you elect to sync your Account to other platforms such as Spotify, Eventbrite and Goodreads in connection with the use of the Services, we may collect information about you from those third-party platforms that you have made available via your privacy settings. Information we collect through these services and platforms may include your name, your user identification number, your user name, location, gender, birth date, email, profile picture, purchase history, and your contacts stored in that service or platform. This supplemental information allows us to verify information that you have provided to us, to enhance our ability to provide you with information about our business, products and Services, and to improve our provision of the Services, particularly the recommendations that we provide, to you.
3.2 How We Use Your InformationWe Process Personal Information about Individuals for a variety of business purposes, including:
You may contact us at any time to opt out of the use of your Personal Information for marketing purposes as described below.
- To Provide Products, Services, or Information Requested including to:
- Manage Individual information and Accounts;
- Respond to questions, comments, and other requests;
- Provide access to certain areas, functionalities, and features of our Services;
- Answer requests for customer or technical support; and
- Allow you to register for events.
- For Administrative Purposes including to:
- Measure interest and engagement in our Site and Services;
- Conduct research and development;
- Improve our products and Services;
- Develop new products and Services;
- Ensure internal quality control;
- Verify Individual identity;
- Communicate with you about your Account, activities on our Site and Services and policy changes;
- Prevent potentially prohibited or illegal activities; and
- Enforce our Terms.
- To Market Our Products and Services.We may use Personal Information to provide you with materials about offers, products, and Services that may be of interest, including new content or Services. We may provide you with these materials as permitted by applicable law. Such uses include:
- To tailor content and offers;
- To notify you about offers, products, and services that may be of interest to you;
- To provide Services to you and our sponsors; and
- Other purposes you consent to or are disclosed when you provide Personal Information.
- De-identified and Aggregated Information Use. We may use Personal Information and other information about you to create de-identified and aggregated information, such as de-identified demographic information, de-identified location information, information about the computer or device from which you access our Site and Services, or other analyses we create. De-identified or aggregated information is not Personal Information, and we may use such information in a number of ways, including research, internal analysis, analytics, and any other legally permissible purposes. We may also share some de-identified information from your usage of the mobile apps and Services with our business partners.
- Sharing Content with Friends or Colleagues. Crossing Minds’ Services may offer various tools and functionalities. For example, Crossing Minds allows you to provide information about your friends through our referral services. Our referral services may allow you to forward or share certain content with friends or contacts from your address book, such as an email inviting your friend to use our Services. Email addresses that you may provide for a friend will be used to send your friend the content or link you request, but will not be collected or otherwise used by Crossing Minds or any other third parties for any other purpose.
- Other Uses. Crossing Minds may use Personal Information to pursue legitimate interests, such as direct marketing, research (including marketing research), network and information security, and fraud prevention, or any other purpose disclosed to you at the time you provide Personal Information or with your consent.
Our uses of such Technologies fall into the following general categories:
- Cookies. Cookies are small text files placed in visitors’ device browsers to store their preferences. Most browsers allow you to block and delete cookies. However, if you do that, the Services may not work properly.
- Analytics. We may also use Google Analytics to collect information regarding visitor behavior and visitor demographics on our Site and Services. For more information about Google Analytics, please visit www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/. You can opt out of Google’s collection and Processing of data generated by your use of the Services by going to http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout. We may also use Amplitude and Fabric to collect information regarding your behavior on our mobile apps.
- Operationally Necessary. This includes Technologies that allow you access to our Site, Services, applications, and tools that are required to identify irregular site behavior, prevent fraudulent activity and improve security or that allow you to make use of our functions such as saved searches or similar functions;
- Performance Related. We may use Technologies to assess the performance of our Services, including as part of our analytic practices to help us understand how our visitors and Account holders use the Services;
- Functionality Related. We may use Technologies that allow us to offer you enhanced functionality when accessing or using our Site and Services. This may include identifying you when you sign into our Site or Services or keeping track of your specified preferences, interests, or past searches;
3.4 Third Party Websites/Applications and Social Media PlatformsThe Services may contain links to other websites/applications and other websites/applications may reference or link to our Site or other Services. For example, if you want to listen to a song that is recommended to you by Crossing Minds, you may be redirected to the Spotify, iTunes, or YouTube website or application to listen to the song. These other websites, services, and applications are not controlled by us. We encourage our users to read the privacy policies of each website and application with which they interact. We do not endorse, screen or approve, and are not responsible for the privacy practices or content of such other websites or applications. Visiting these other websites or applications is at your own risk.
4. Onward Transfer—How We May Disclose Your Information
- We Use Service Providers. We may share any information we receive from you with service providers. The types of service providers (processors) to whom we entrust Personal Information include service providers for: (i) provision of IT and related services; (ii) provision of information and services you have requested; (iii) customer service activities; and (iv) the provision of the Site and Services.
- Account Information and Activity. Some parts of your Account, including your profile picture, your public lists, and the number of friends you have, may be accessible on the Services to other Account-holders. In addition, any comments you post or “likes” you make to other Account-holders’ lists may be visible to those Account-holders. However, such information will only be visible to other Account-holders if you elect to connect as friends through the Services.
- Disclosures to Protect Us or Others. We may access, preserve, and disclose your Personal Information, other Account information, and content if we believe doing so is required or appropriate to: (i) comply with law enforcement or national security requests and legal process, such as a court order or subpoena; (ii) respond to your requests; (iii) protect your, our or others’ rights, property, or safety; (iv) to enforce our policies or contracts; (v) to collect amounts owed to us; (vi) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss or in connection with an investigation or prosecution of suspected or actual illegal activity; or (vii) if we, in good faith, believe that disclosure is otherwise necessary or advisable.
- Merger, Sale, or Other Asset Transfers. If we are involved in a merger, acquisition, financing due diligence, reorganization, bankruptcy, receivership, purchase or sale of assets, or transition of service to another provider, then your information may be sold or transferred as part of such a transaction as permitted by law and/or contract.
4.2 International Data TransfersYou agree that all information Processed by us may be transferred, Processed, and stored anywhere in the world, including but not limited to, the European Union, the United States or other countries. Personal Information may be stored in the cloud, on our servers, on the servers of our affiliates or the servers of our service providers. Your Personal Information may be accessible to law enforcement or other authorities pursuant to a lawful request.
5. Your Choices: Right to Object to Processing
5.1 GeneralYou have the right to object to or opt out of certain uses of your Personal Information. Where you have consented to the Processing of your Personal Information, you may withdraw that consent at any time and prevent further Processing by contacting us as described below. Even if you opt out, we may still collect and use non-Personal Information regarding your activities on our Sites and Services for other legal purposes as described above.
5.3 Mobile DevicesWe may send you push notifications through our mobile application. You may at any time opt-out from receiving these types of communications by changing the settings on your mobile device. Crossing Minds may also collect location-based information if you use our mobile applications. You may opt-out of this collection by changing the settings on your mobile device.
5.4 “Do Not Track”Do Not Track (“DNT”) is a privacy preference that users can set in certain web browsers. We respond to and honor DNT signals or similar mechanisms transmitted by web browsers.
By using the Services or providing Personal Information to us, you agree that we may communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues relating to your use of the Services. If we learn of a security system’s breach, we may attempt to notify you electronically by posting a notice on the Services, by mail or by sending an e-mail to you.
8. Children’s InformationThe Site and Services are not directed to people under 13 (or other age as required by local law), and we do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children. If you learn that your child has provided us with Personal Information without your consent, you may contact us as set forth below. If we learn that we have collected any Personal Information in violation of applicable law, we will promptly take steps to delete such information and terminate the child’s account.
Crossing Minds, Inc. 22 Rausch Street, San Francisco, CA firstname.lastname@example.org
- “Personal Information” is any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person.
- “Process” or “Processing” means any operation which is performed upon Personal Information, whether or not by automatic means, such as collection, recording, organization, structuring, storage, adaptation or alteration, retrieval, consultation, use, disclosure by transmission, dissemination or otherwise making available, alignment or combination, restriction, erasure, or destruction.